One thing I love about summer…the abundance of zucchini! I have had so much fun lately trying out new recipes, and when I came across a recipe for Zucchini Tots from Skinny Taste, I just knew I had to try them out! Little bite sized morsels of zucchini, egg and cheese, sounds like a great breakfast treat to me, and a great excuse to finally buy a mini muffin pan
My husband is not a big fan of zucchini, so as soon as I told him my idea he was not all that thrilled. He asked me to add some potato to the tots, and it sounded like a good idea to me. I also mixed it up by using Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar, since I like the way zucchini and parm taste together. I must say they were quite the hit. He loved them! What a great way to sneak in some healthy zucchini at breakfast time. Here is my recipe:
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup shredded potato
- 1 egg
- 1 T finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash you zucchini and grate using a standing cheese grater. I did this straight onto a few paper towels to be able to squeeze out and absorb out some of the moisture from the zucchini.
2. Grate your potato next, making sure to squeeze out as much moisture as possible from it as well.
3. Add the two shredded veggies together in your mixing bowl.
4. Add the remaining ingredients (egg, breadcrumbs, onion, salt & pepper) to your shredded veggies.
5. Time to get your hands dirty and mix together well.
6. Fill your mini muffin pan and press down each to make sure they will hold together well in baking.
7. Bake at 400°F for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Yields approximately 15 tots.