Welcome to the first weekly blog series, Mealtime Monday. My goal for the year is to try one new recipe each week while I work on compiling a cookbook of our favorite recipes.
I have piles of books, magazine pages and tons of pins of recipes I would like to try someday. But each week when it is time to make the grocery list, I can’t seem to think outside the box and we default to the same 20 or so recipes over and over again. So I am challenging myself to branch out and I will document our culinary adventures here, starting with a light version of Loaded Potato Soup.
The recipe I followed for this was from Skinny Taste and can be found here. It turned out great!! My husband loved it and was so surprised that it had an entire head of cauliflower. It seems a lot more decadent and fattening than it is. I made a few minor changes to recipe, but it is pretty much the same as Skinny Taste. If you have not browsed her site before, I would highly recommend looking her recipes, they are great!
- 2 potatoes
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 tbsp chopped chives, divided (3 tbsp for the soup, 3 tbsp for topping)
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled for topping
1. Wash and dry your potato. Using fork, puncture holes into the potato. You can now bake it either in the oven or microwave. Microwave: Place the potato in the microwave for 7-10 minutes, turning once. or Oven: Bake at 425° F for 30-45 minutes until tender. Allow to cool slightly to touch and peel. Continue reading