Even though we have about 4 more months until we move into our first home, I keep finding myself day dreaming and planning out each room. To keep me occupied, I have decided to create a few mood boards with ideas for each room to mull over until the big day finally comes. To start this off I have worked on a design for our dining room. We have never really had a dedicated dining room in any of our apartments so this seemed like a fun one to start with. The overall look we want is simple, modern and clean. We want to go with a few bold choices, like navy walls, but pair it with classic simple pieces like white accessories and black furniture.
Mood Board Breakdown:
1. Alex and I have been wanting to paint a room bold, and being that we have always lived in cream, bland apartments together we are ready to step it up in colors in our new home. While browsing ideas on Pinterest, I stumbled across Lucyina Moodie Stylist’s Navy Dining Room. I love the black furniture against the bold navy walls with touches of white for contrast. For more dining & kitchen ideas, follow my Home Decor – Kitchen/Dining Room board on Pinterest.
2. Our current dining room table is a hand-me-down, that while practical and looking a lot better after we refinished it 3 years ago, is not really in line with our style. For this dining room I really want a glass table. One option we found is the Granas Table & Chairs from Ikea. What I really like about is the price tag, under $200 for table and chairs. The seats on the chairs do leave something to be desired, but that would be a weekend project changing them out with a nice cream or white padded seat.
3. As for art on the wall, we are thinking of moving the Just Two Crafty Sisters Original Map Canvas Art from the living room to the dining room. Navy rooms look great paired with bright white and pops of yellow, so this might be its new home soon.
4. One thing I know for sure is that I really want a black sideboard in this room for storage of both textiles and wine. This Crosley Cambridge Buffet Server/Sideboard Cabinet available at Bed Bath & Beyond and many other retailers fits the bill at $399.
5. I really hope to add an indoor lemon tree to the mix in our new dining room. I love the idea of a cure little plant and the bright yellow of lemons plays right into the palette I have in mind for the room. Hopefully I would be able to keep it alive.
6. Being that the floor in our dining room is carpet and we have no plans on changing it out in the short run, I really want to have a rug under the table. This navy stripe rug from Dash & Albert is exactly what I am thinking of. Bold stripes in navy and white, but super durable and low profile in case of spills from the table. Kind of like an indoor/outdoor rug.
7. I LOVE this Caroline Dining Table and Ann Glenn Side Chairs from Scandinavian Designs. Beautiful glass table, plush tall back chairs. Too bad the price is above what I am willing to spend for it right now.
8. Another option for the table and chair is this Bjursta Table & Chairs from Ikea. While I lean towards a glass table, this simple black table would also look great with the Navy walls and other black furniture. Plus I like the cream seat pads.
9. White accents for accessories like this vase from Ikea look great with the dark walls and furniture of this dining room plan.
10. One thing we must do for sure is a white ceiling to open up the space and keep from making the room feel too small because of the dark wall color. I found this beautiful example on Pinterest and just love the contrast of bold dark walls with the bright white ceiling.
Anyone out there experimented with a bold color like Navy lately? Does it make a room feel smaller? I really like this look, but I’m still concerned it could be too overpowering.