Mealtime Monday is back again! I am so ready for fall to be here; ready to wear boots with sweaters, carve pumpkins and enjoy some delicious soups! To get into the swing of fall, here is a delicious soup I love to make, slightly adapted from Skinny Taste!
- 1/2 package ground turkey
- 1/8-1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8-12 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo
1. In a medium size bowl, mix together your ground turkey, diced onions, dried parsley, egg, minced garlic, Parmesan & 1/8 cup of breadcrumbs.
2. Mix together, adding more breadcrumbs as needed to get to meatball consistency. You want the mixture to be sticky to hold together well, not too wet or too dry.
3. Form into small meatballs. You want the meatballs to be miniature so that they can easily be eaten in the soups without having to be cut up, about 1 tablespoon each.
**When I made it I forgot to add my Parmesan at first, so I had to go back and reform all my meatballs with parm…oops!
4. Now it is time to start the soup base. In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring your chicken broth to a boil. I like a broth-y soup, so I tend to add a bit more broth than called for.
5. Once the broth is brought to a boil, add in the uncooked orzo, spinach and raw meatballs. Boil for about 10 minutes or until orzo is done and meatballs are cooked through.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!