Have I ever told you that I am obsessed with Mac ‘n cheese? Yes, I know it is one of those comfort foods that one should outgrow after the age of 5, but I just love it so much! For the Super Bowl this year, I made a delicious batch of Mac ‘n Cheese Bites from a recipe on Food & Wine. I am now waiting for any excuse to make them again.
Ingredients (makes 24 mini bites):
1/2 Pound Elbow Macaroni
1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter, Plus More For Brushing
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Tablespoons Flour
3/4 Cup 3% Milk
1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
8 Slices of American Cheese
1 Egg Yolk
1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large pot on the stove top, cook your macaroni according to the box. Make sure to not over cook as you don’t want the pasta to be mushy. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt your butter. Whisk in the flour at medium heat and continue whisking for 2 minutes.
3. Next add in the milk and heat while continuing to whisk until boiling (should take about 5 minutes).
4. Mix in the cheddar and American cheeses and whisk until melted.
5. Remove from heat and whisk in the egg yolk and paprika.
6. Once combined, fold in the macaroni you had previously set aside.
7. Now it is time to prepare the Wilton Recipe Right 24 Cup Mini Muffin Pan*. First, brush each hole with melted butter. Next sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
8. Spoon a dollop of the mac ‘n cheese mixture into each cup. Pat down slightly to make sure there are no big air gaps.
9. Top with another sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
10. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about five minutes before removing from the pan. Serve and enjoy!
*Post contains affiliate links